Skip to main content

Should you build your own PC?

I mentioned in my last update how I’d built my new computer. With the seeming adoration we all have for laptops, we seem to have fallen out of love with desktops. Why did I go with a desktop? And why I built my own and not just buy?

Some people work from their couches, beds, on travel etc. and those people need a laptop.


Is that you? Or is your laptop setup at your desk and never moves? If that is the case then a desktop might be better. A desktop doesn’t need the many dongles to hook five devices to one USB port many laptops have now. They come with a plethora of USB ports, and can support multiple monitors easily.


Desktops often are cheaper that a similar equipped laptop. Makes sense, it more expensive to build smaller components into a tight case for a laptop.


And building your own desktop reduces the price even more. And it isn’t as hard as one might think. There is no soldering involved. You not building so much as assembling various components together. You get to pick your own components to make the computer ideal for your own use case. And if you want to upgrade, you can do so by only adding the upgraded components you need. Same too if one part fails, it is easy to swap out the defective part.


Gamers need powerful desktop computers and there are sites now to make it easier for them to choose components and assemble their machines.


YouTube for example, has videos on the overall process and again ones for how to assemble each of the components you might have.


What do I mean by component? You need a handful of components:

  • A CPU, the main microprocessor
  • A graphics adaptor
  • a CPU Fan
  • Memory
  • Power Supply
  • Hard Drive or better yet, a solid state drive (SSD)
  • and a case to put it all in.


Then there are ones you might already have from your prior setup :

  • Monitor(s)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Operating System (With Windows you can sometime transfer your license to a new machine)

It used to be complicated. You had to research each part and make sure it would work with all the other parts. If that were still the case, I’d never have built my own.

Sites like PCPart Picker ( https://pcpartpicker.com ) do all the hard part for you. You can start with one of their suggested builds and the modify it by upgrading certain components if you wish.


That’s what I did.


It will tell you if the parts are going to work together or not.

You can order the parts from Amazon, or PC retailers like Microcenter, NewEgg etc.

For my readers in Northern Virginia, there is a Microcenter in Fairfax. The staff will help you choose components. They can assemble them for you if you pay extra. Or if you mess up your own build, they can unsnarl it for you.


A year ago, I would not have written this. The price for graphic processing units (GPU) were through the roof. They are important to mining cybercurrencies and the miners had driven the price up. And the ones that did come into stores were few. People were camping out in front of Microcenter I heard.\


With the recent problems with cybercurrencies, the prices for GPUs has returned to normal.


PCPartPicker has a home office appropriate machine for as little as $474.00 and a starter gaming machine for $431.00, not including the monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating system.


Higher end games will require more expensive systems with better CPUs and GPUs. People doing video editing, flight simulator or race car simulations might also want a faster machine.


If you want advice on your proposed build, sign up for Reddit.com and see their AskBattlestations subreddit for advice : https://www.reddit.com/r/AskBattlestations. They are a kind place to ask. I saw a father asking about building three low end machines for his son and two of his friends to play Minecraft with while in the same room. If they were not going to play together outside, they might as well play together inside. The subreddit participants lauded him as father of the year.


Another time, a single mother was struggling to build a machine on a tight budget for her son who wanted a gaming machine as his only gift that Christmas. Several people volunteered to send her old components that were perfectly good, left after they upgraded their own systems.


If you want to see what people with crazy amounts of money and room design talents build, check out the Battlestations subreddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations.

I look at that the way other men look at sports car sites.


Building isn’t for everyone. You need to want to do more than save money. This is for the folks who like tech, or learning new DIY skills.


<cross posted at my Substack, familytech.substack.com>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. The situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing; kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way back i

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t