Skip to main content

25 Years ago, Steve Jobs saw me demo the Mac

There is a lot of hoopla on the web tonight. Apparently it was twenty-five years ago today that the famous 1984 ad ran during the Superbowl, letting the world know that the Macintosh would change our world starting the next day.



The next morning, a handful of stores had Macintoshs ready to show the world. One was Macy's in San Francisco at Union Square. Macy's then had a prestigious store with-in a store selling IBM PC's, and Compaq's. Not many stores outside of IBM's own then could carry the PC. It took a name like Macy's, a dedicated store and sales people largely recruited from outside to entice IBM to partner with Macy's.

And now, with Apple.

The previous Thursday or Friday we'd gone somewhere like Burlingame to see the new computer. As I recall, we knew almost nothing about it going in. I signed my first NDA that day. I am pretty sure we saw the now famous ad. Then they took us into a classroom. Each desk had a Mac box on it. We were instructed to open it, and setup without opening the manual.

We were aghast. Getting a PC out of the box, configured and up and running took a trained salesperson or tech an hour or so. Setup a new computer, without a manual--preposterous.

And of course, we took it out, plugged the keyboard into the hole with a keyboard by it, the mouse in the hole with the mouse, the power the only other place it could go, and turned it on. A minute had passed.

The little machine made a delightful little chime, and a smiling face appeared on the screen, and we were all smitten.

I couldn't wait to show this to the Macy's customer. It was perfect for them. They always wanted the newest, the prettiest, the trendiest.

The next morning we opened at 9:30. For some reason, only two of us were on duty during the day, myself and my sales partner Jeff. I liked to demo, he didn't so we agreed I'd demo and he'd work the group handing out business cards and putting names on the back order (we didn't actually have machines for weeks as I recall).

Well I love getting oohs and aahs as any showman does, but never got them from a computer demo. I did that day, as people waited their turn to get close enough to see. Around the edges Jeff did the paperwork.

Until, I looked up at one point and he was talking to a trendy looking, a late 20 something guy standing with an older gentleman in a suit. I overheard a snippet of the conversation, "What if we could get the Mac customers some sort of training..."

Oh God, I thought, on our busiest day Jeff has been cornered by some would-be-entrepreneur wanting to soundboard his latest idea. Because of our prestigious name we got a lot of that. "Not today Jeff!" I thought.

And it was then I realized who he was talking to. It was of course Steve Jobs and John Sculley, then President of Apple. They were in gauging the public's reaction to Steve's little creation. Its success was by no means a done deal. Seeing the crowds oohing and ahhing must have been gratifying to them.

Jeff tried to get them to meet me, but they didn't want to interrupt the demos or call attention to themselves--it was about the Mac, not them. So I missed out on my chance to meet Steve Jobs.

Later that day, I was demoing MacPaint. I re-created one of the simpler drawings from the brochure. Someone asked me to do the detailed one, a tennis shoe. I admitted that was beyond me. "I can do it for you." a voice from the crowd said. A young woman came up and grabbed the mouse from me and did the drawing and wowed us all with the graphic ability of the Mac. It was Susan Kare, the graphic artist on the original core Macintosh Group.

You can read a review of that original 128K Mac by Larry Magid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t