Skip to main content

Evernote is not an Everything Bucket, but a Miscellaneous Bucket

If you have read this blog even a few times, you know my favorite app of all time is Evernote.  And you know I also like the web site Lifehacker.com.  They have driven some awesome traffic my way in the past.


I must take exception though to a recent post.  Adam Pash in "Avoid Everything Buckets, AKA Why I can't get into apps like Evernote", says he dislikes programs like Evernote because one mindlessly dumps data into it, without any thoughts of organizing it.


Pash says "Any of the "everything buckets" I've ever tried do many things poorly rather than one thing well ".  He does admit "That doesn't mean that you can't or don't use Evernote or some other universal capture application to great effect. (You may be a wizard at making Evernote do exactly what you want.) "


And right there, he has the essence.  How we think of information, and how we want to be able to go back to information we have encountered, is immensely personal.  Our personality types, our working practices dictate the approach we take, and the type of application we want.


Pash cites a post by Alex Payne, a former Twitter developer now doing his own startup.  as the genesis for his own opinion. Payne's piece  advocates organizing information via the filesystem, specifically the Mac file system.  He says the search capability of Spotlight replaces the search in an Evernote type app.  


Payne misses the point the most of us encounter information that merely makes a twitch a bit, "Hey this is interesting" but do not want to take a moment to think how we might use it, or how we should organize.  We just want to be able to grab it so we can deal with it later, or not deal with it, but be able to find it if we want.


Payne's solution is also Mac oriented.  The search on my Windows 7 platform is not nearly as fast as Evernote.  


And Payne's solution does not consider syncing to multiple platforms.  I love that I can enter something into Evernote while surfing the net on my iPad, and then later pull it up on my PC with no action on my part.  Or pull it up on my two year old smart phone to tell the doctor what prescriptions I am taking.


I suspect Alex Payne is a very smart guy, but he and I are coming from different places.  I previously disagreed with his criticism of the iPad when he said that he would not have become a programmer had he only had an iPad growing up.  He failed then to understand all those older programmers he works with, had tinkered with something other than computers in their youth, and then went on to build the personal computers industry he is thriving in.


I do not think of Evernote and their ilk as Everything Buckets but rather as Miscellaneous Buckets.  I still put contact information in my contact manager and appointments and events into my calendar.  Evernote gets everything else:  seldom needed bookmarks, copies of receipts I might need to have again, manuals, warranties, research information etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t