Saturday, January 15, 2011

Things my Smartphone has replaced...

In the column appearing tomorrow [link to column], I start to list all the devices my Smartphone  has replaced.  I realized that list alone could fill the entire column.

I've seen lists like this before but bear with me.  I think I'll have a few other lists do not.

  • Alarm clock
  • Clock
  • eBook Reader
  • Flashlight
  • Remote terminal for my Desktop PC
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Web access
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Camcorder
  • Camera
  • Address book
  • Document Scanner
  • File Cabinet
  • Email device
  • Movie Guide
  • Cassette Tape player
  • Maps
  • GPS Navigation Device
  • MP3 Player
  • Portable Video Player
  • Weather Radio
  • TV Guide
  • Kitchen Timer
  • Voice Mail
  • TV Station
  • Photo Album
  • Study Guides
  • Two way pager

and of course....

  • Phone

Looking over the list, most are natural.  Even if someone hasn't  owned a Smartphone, most know it can play videos, music, has an alarm, can show photos, take pictures and shoot video.  A couple are probably a bit of a surprise.

File Cabinet?  Yes, using Evernote and a scanner, I can put all the documents in my life into Evernote, and make them accessible from my PC, and my phone.

TV Station?  I was just playing with this this morning.  UStream.com allows you to send video from the video camera on your phone across the internet.  I can live stream video from wherever I am.  A family baptism, stream it to those out of town.  A wedding, a kids soccer game, whatever.

When a tsunamis was predicted for Hawaii a year ago, people used UStream to show what was happening on the beach.

1 comment:

  1. nice list. mine would be pretty much the same as this except add guitar tuner and audio recorder!
    oh and its replaced paper... and pencils/pens too (drawing app)

    ReplyDelete