Skip to main content

Is Google Keep finally a viable Google Task Manager?

When Google Keep first appeared, myself and others thought it was Google’s attempt to make an Evernote type product.


I had long thought Google should acquire Evernote, or barring that, create their own personal note storage system.   Google’s mission seems to be indexing all the world’s information.  That should include our own personal information, but before they can index it and let us search on it, they need to give us a place to store information.


Perhaps that is still their intent, but if it is, they are getting there at a snail’s pace.  There have been few upgrades to Keep.


The only really major upgrade was the addition of reminders; adding a date and time to a note and having the app alert you when appropriate.


At our Google+ Keep community a poster wondered if perhaps Keep was not actually intended to replace Google Tasks.

Google Tasks has always been a ignored by Google.  They added a simple Task list to Gmail, and a freestanding page that didn’t do much.


They never created their own Tasks app for either Android or IOS, but instead left it to third parties.


Considering their excellent Calendar, not having a great Tasks capability was a glaring hole.


When I read the post, I decided to try using Keep as a task manager.


At first, I simply created Notes for each day of the week and listed the tasks I wanted to get done on that day.  I created a reminder to bring the note to my attention at the right time.


The problem was if I didn’t complete an item on the day assigned.  There was not a way to move the item to the Note for the next day.


So instead, I now create notes for each item, and color code them to one color that always means a Task.


I just wish that Keep had a way of sorting the Notes by the reminder dates to that already reminded tasks are at the top, and then going down by date from there.


There should also be the option to have Notes without reminders placed at the top or bottom depending on how you set a preference.


I have added that to the Suggestion list maintained by members of the community.   Feel free to visit there and vote on suggestions you want.


That’s my two cents.  Now back to waiting for Keep to gain more features.

Comments

  1. You were right the first time. Keep is a note taking app. You can use it for tasks, but that's not it's strength. There are several great web based task management apps with iOS and Android apps. Why try to force it into the Google environment? I use Remember the Milk. There are gadgets that let me see my RTM tasks in the web interfaces of gmail and google calendar. For me trying to use evernote or keep as a task manager when there are so many good task managers out there. It's like trying to drive a nail with a screwdriver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day when Google is going to acquire Evernote, I am going to leave Evernote and burn Evernote offices down personally! My whole life is in Evernote, and I would never ever consider giving this amount of intimate details to Google. For that reason I pay $150 every year to upkeep my 3 accounts at Evernote. I sincerely hope something like Google acquiring Evernote will never happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t