Skip to main content

Our Trip to Israel - Days One and Two (of five) - Tel Aviv, Masada and the Dead Sea


The Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and the gold covered Dome of the Rock

This blog is taking a break with this post from the Family Tech columns, and the too infrequent insights into technology, for a travelogue.

My wife is studying/researching in Israel on a Fulbright grant. Our son and I returned today from six days visiting there.  This post will be one of two or maybe three with a narrative of our whirlwind trip to Israel.

We visited Masada, Jerusalem, The Dead Sea, the Israel Museum and the Crusader cities of Acre and Caesarea during our stay.  

Note: Click a photo to see it larger.



First Day - Tel Aviv

We wanted a low key day so our first full day we went out to take care of some errands.  We went to the huge Central Bus station, also a large shopping mall, to exchange some currency and buy SIM cards for our phones. 

Afterwards, we decided to take a bus to a restaurant we had found in Fodor's.  It turned out to be something of an adventure, in that the bus app we were using was of course in Hebrew.  We got a bit turned around and it took a few hours to find the restaurant. 



The time on the the bus did give us a chance to catch up with one another. At this point my wife had been in Israel almost a month. so it was good to have time to talk.  The next few days would turn out to be a whirlwind of touring without as much time to visit, concluding with us falling into bed exhausted each evening but ready to start a new tour the next day.

We finally found the restaurant near the beach, and...



it was no longer in business.  We did find an excellent pizza place a block away we enjoyed immensely.

And while we ate our pizza we finally began to understand the bus app, and were able to take a bus straight back to our AirBnB.

Second Day - Masada and The Dead Sea

We signed up with a tour bus company, and spent our second day at Masada and The Dead Sea.



Masada is the site where Jewish rebels opposed a Roman Legion. It was built by Herod the Great as an immense castle meant to impress visitors from Rome with Herod's hospitality, thus promoting Herod's reputation.

After the destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem in 70 CE, rebels fled to Masada and took it away from a small Roman garrison there.

In 73 CE, the Romans laid siege to Masada.  The Romans built a huge earthen ramp and ultimately broke through the walls of the castle.

While it is possible to hike up the mountain in forty minutes, I was thankful there was a cable car to make the climb.



Our guide Eli lead us to the Commandant's House, the Roman bath house, store rooms, pigeon aviaries, and many other features of the fortress.


This image is from the bathhouse. The white portion at the bottom is surviving portions of the fresco that once covered the walls. It is hard to remember when looking at stone ruins such as these, that once the walls were covered in fresco and were colorful  art.



 He ultimately showed the remains of the ramp the Romans built up the side of the mountain.



When the Roman's pierced the defenses, they fell back to their camp, confident the next day would bring them success.

Instead, they found the entire population dead, except for two women and a few children.

The historian Josephus, writing in Rome, said that a group of men were chosen to slaughter the entire population. Then they drew lots to see which of them would kill the rest of the team, and then kill himself, thus denying the Romans the victory.

Indeed, stone lots with the names of ten men and the commander were found by archaeologists.



After several hours atop the fortress, we took the cable car back down, and went from the towering mountain to the lowest point on planet Earth, the Dead Sea.  Or as it is locally called, the Salty Sea, for it has a 34% salinity.

Our son went swimming, and found himself of course to be amazingly buoyant. You do have to be careful not to get the water in your eyes, or to swallow any.

Minerals from the sea are some of Israel's biggest exports.

The sea is getting smaller. The once seaside resort we visited is now almost four fifths of a mile from the sea.  

From the shoreline, you can see Jordan on the other side.

On our drive back to Jerusalem, and ultimately Tel Aviv, we pulled over so the guide could point out a couple caves up in the hills.  



These two are among the eleven where The Dead Sea Scrolls were found starting in 1946.


Day One and Two - Tel Aviv, Masada and the Dead Sea

Day Three - Jerusalem

Day Four - Israel Museum







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t