Skip to main content

Do you use your cell phone for business? You need a filter between your business & personal communications.

If you use your cell phone for business calls, you will want to set up a “filter” between your phone and your business contacts i.e. clients, customers, co-workers, supervisors.

Google Voice is that filter.

 

How does Google Voice work?

You receive a unique telephone number.  When someone calls that number, it seamlessly forwards to your cell phone.  When you place a call, your Google Voice number shows up on caller ID.

Likewise, when someone sends a text to your GV number, it shows up on your phone. And when you text, it shows up as having come from your GV number.

And the best thing:  it is free.

What does Google Voice do?

As mentioned above,when someone dials your GV number, it can ring your cell phone. It can also ring your landline too, if you have one.

If your phone is lost or damaged, you can borrow someone else’s phone, or buy a cheap pay-as-you go phone and simply tell GV to forward calls to that phone until  you find or replace your phone.

Without GV, any business (or personal) calls to your lost or broken phone would go to voicemail you would have to pick up periodically from another phone. Not good customer service.

GV gives you a lot of power to control when your receive calls.  There is a Do Not Disturb function you can set from the mobile apps. When you go into a meeting, you can set the phone to send all phone calls to voicemail, and not notify you of text messages until you turn Do Not Disturb off.

You can set up GV so any calls from numbers you do not know, are answered with an announcement asking the caller’s name. GV then plays you the name, and lets you decide whether to take the call or not.

Voice mails are transcribed by Artificial Intelligence and text and/or emailed to you. While not perfect, it gives you the gist of what the message is about.

Voice mails and text messages are stored forever; giving you an audit trail of your business  communications.

Calls placed from GV in the US are free, and low cost for international calls.

Unfortunately, GV is only available for US customers.

What if a former client insists on contacting you?

You can make a custom voicemail announcement for a specific phone number. That client calling it, would get a message reminding them that someone else is working with their account, and giving out that phone number.

What if I leave the company?

You can simply have all of the calls go to an announcement advising your business contacts you have moved on.  And then you can create a new Google Voice number for your new job.

How do I get a Google Voice number?

In an Incognito Mode window of your desktop or laptop web browser go to accounts.google.com
That window may be called InPrivate, or some other name depending on your browser.

Click More Options


And then Create Account

Go through the prompts to create a Google Account. You can have as many free Google accounts as you want.  So if your personal account is JohnDoe@gmail.com, you can make the one you are using while at IBM as JohnDoeIBM@gmail.com.

It really does not matter what the name is; you are not going to use that email address.  You just need to have a Google Account to get a new Google Voice Account.

Next, go to voice.google.com



Click the blue button, and follow the prompts.



Choose Web for now.

Follow the rest of the prompts to create and setup a Google Voice number.

Finally, search the Google Play Store, or Apple App Store as appropriate, to find the Google Voice app for your phone and install it.

You can manage your Google Voice at : https://voice.google.com/messages

Some settings are still on the legacy Google voice at : https://www.google.com/voice#phones

This is not meant to be a comprehensive user's guide for Google Voice.  There is a ton of help information and articles about Google Voice online to help you be productive.

I've been using Google Voice since it was Grand Central; before Google bought them in 2009. Since about 2006, my Grand Central/Google Voice number has been the only one I have handed out.

This might sound like an ad. It isn't. I'm just a fan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t