Skip to main content

Now I am a TV broadcaster!



Audio version of this post
One of the reasons for this blog was to share my absolute delight with technology.  Let me share my most recent delight.

First, a little of my background is relevant here.  I earned a BA in Broadcast Journalism back in 1978 yet within two years embarked on the career of selling computers, other technology and enterprise software.  Broadcasting becanme a memory.

About twelve years ago we bought a couple consumer grade video cameras and Adobe Premiere. I was astonished at the product I could put out. It was comparable to what I could in 1978 with access to a TV station.  I used the capability to shoot a couple of friend's weddings and make a couple of documentaries.  Some are at my YouTube Channel.

Last night, I fooled around with a free software product called Open Broadcast Studio, or OBS for short.

For those who know video production a bit, OBS is basically acts a video switcher.




A video switcher is the device in a TV studio that all the video sources are connected to. For example, in a TV studio there might be three cameras, a feed from the network, VCR's (well, today they'd be a PC putting out a video), etc.  The switcher, an actual hardware device, lets you choose the next shot to go out over the air, and how you transition to it.

A professional video swticher


In this screenshot below of OBS, the shot going out over the "air" is the right hand side.  It is a combination shot of my webcam showing me, and a pre-recorded video, in this case, a documentary I made about a ride in a Ford Trimotor Airplane.

Screenshot of OBS 


The left hand panel is the Preview shot, the next shot coming up.  In this case, it is a screen shot of my other monitor, showing a web page with this blog.

Between the two panels are controls for transitioning to the new shot. It can be a quick cut, or a fade. The director (that's me! or you.) controls the speed.

Here's where it gets interesting. The user can of course save the output to a new video file they can post to YouTube.  Or...they can stream it out.

Last night I made a brief live broadcast to Facebook Live.

Think about that for a moment.  From my laptop I became a broadcaster to a world wide audience of potentially two billion people.

OBS is popular with the video gaming set.  One of the stream services it supports is Twitch, Gamers will broadcast their own games with their own commentary.  Amazingly (at least to this Baby Boomer) people watch.

Also, there is an active professional gaming circuits drawing viewers and they use Twitch.tv to get the games out to viewers.



I've found messages on Reddit that indicate users have used two cameras at one time.  I've asked the question if anyone has used more.  Imagine having a three camera setup in your living room to do a interview style TV show?  It looks like it might be feasible and cheap.

Update 1/31/2018 :   a bit of rewriting for clarity, and to report the inquiry in Reddit I learned that some people use four cameras. If I could afford webcams I do not need, I'd love to test the feasibility of setting up a talk show like program using OBS.

Note: I've deleted the video I made to Facebook so no point in looking for it.  It is nothing more than what you see in the screenshots above and didn't last a minute.

Audio version of this post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t