Skip to main content

My iPad Apps

It seems everyone and their brother are writing posts listing the apps they have on their iPad.  I read everyone one I come across and have found several new programs I didn't know about.

In honor of my sister receiving an iPad for her birthday today, I thought I'd do my own list.

Unless otherwise noted, all apps mentioned are free.

E-Mail and Calendar

Oddly, the built-in Calendar and E-mail apps don't do much for me.  Since I share the iPad with my wife, I tend to use the web versions of Gmail and Google Calendar.  I do have my e-mail credentials in the e-mail app so I can e-mail out pages from applications.

Books

The #1 need here is to add Amazon's Kindle app.  Amazon currently has more books available for Kindle then Apple does in the iBook store.  More importantly, the Kindle is cross platform.  You can only read iBooks on the iPad and iPhone.  You can read Kindle on those and Android phones and many other platforms, including of course, the hardware Kindles Amazon sells.

Video and Television

In addition to the built-in Video and Youtube App, I also have Zap2It to give me TV listings, and IMDB to let me look up movies and actors.  I also use Flixster to look up area movies; although I haven't been to one in ages.

The number #1 add on app in this area though is the Netflix app.  With it, I can manage my queue, but more importantly watch streaming videos from Netflix.  Their most basic membership of one DVD a month service lets you stream unlimited videos.  You can start a video on your computer, pause it,m to watch it on on your TV via your Wii or PS3, pause it again, and resume on your iPad.  In each case, the video starts up right where you left off.

I also have the AirVideoFree app.  It lets me stream videos from my PC to my iPad.  I'm still not sure I need it; I have it installed as an experiment.  It works surprisingly well, and if I watched a lot of video I'd opt for the paid version.  So far though I really don't see the need.

Also: ABC Player.


News

USA Today, AP News and NPR

Weather

WeatherBug and TWCMax (The Weather Channel)

Productivity

The iPad was supposed to be a media consumption device, meaning web pages, books and videos.  It's wonderful portability has made me want to use it for more productive things, and I've found a few apps that do wonderfully.

First off is my favorite tool, Evernote.  I have gushed over Evernote a lot here.  In fact, I have developed various apps since 1980 to keep track of all the bits and pieces of information in my life.  I had a nice little one running when Evernote came along and I gladly moved my data over to it, and have totally stopped working on my app.  I could never match the OCR ability or the indexing they have.

Evernote lets you build a collection of information.  Most commonly they are notes but can also be audio notes, PDF files, photos, web clippings and bookmarks.

If you take a photo, Evernote can decipher the words in the photo so you can search on the words just as easily as you can words in a note.

For example if you take a photo of a historical marker of of the Manassas battlefield, when you search for Manassas, that image pops up along with all your other references to Manassas.

Evernote synchronizes the data in your client to their servers.  If you run multiple clients as I do  you have the same data on all platforms.  There are free clients for iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, Android and other platforms, as well as a web client.

I have a previous blog posts on the "Many Uses of Evernote" and "Your First Day with Evernote" that are worth checking out.

The beauty of Evernote, is you do not have to use iTunes to move information to your iPad.

Another good way to avoid iTunes from being your gateway to your iPad is to have a free Dropbox account. Clicking that link in the previous line takes you to the Dropbox site where you can sign up for a free twi gigabyte online storage.  And by clicking that link, it should give me an additional 256 megabytes and you also w256 extra.

Dropbox installs a small app on your PC that lets you move any file into a folder in "My Documents/My Dropbox" folder (on a PC) and it automatically syncs to their servers.  Then if you have a free Dropbox client on another PC, a Mac, your iPad, or other platforms, the files are accessible there too.

The best use of this is for moving PDF files from your PC to be readable on your iPad.

To read PDF files, there are a number of good reader apps.  I used GoodReader for a while (99 cents).  It will open PDF files in Dropbox.

When my wife wanted to use the iPad at a professional conference, they e-mailed a bunch of PDF's and she wanted to annotate them.  So we bought iAnnotate ($9.99).  It stores its annotations right back into the PDF file so you can e-mail them back to yourself and read the annotations in Adobe's Reader application on your PC.

While iAnnotate does not open directly from Dropbox, it can download a PDF file from the web.  I just go to the Dropbox website and open the file from there.

I can't imagine owning a platform without at least rudimentary word processing and spreadsheet abilities.  More and more I have stopped using Microsoft Word and Excel in lieu of Google Docs apps.  They may not have as many features as the Microsoft apps, but they have the features I use.

After looking at a variety of tools, I ended up with Docs2Go. It shares data with Google Docs   It also is available on a large number of platforms  If you haven't figured out, with Netflix, Kindle, Evernote, and Dropbox, cross platform flexibility is huge to me.

Mapping

I love maps.  I used to love waiting for the National Geographic to arrive with its map insert.

The built-in Maps app is great.  I have also downloaded Google Earth, and ARCGIS.

Utilities

There are many calculator apps out there.  Many are 99 cents, but the "CalculatorXL" app is free and good enough for me.

Dictionary.com makes a nice dictionary.

QuickVoice will record audio.

Wikipanion is a nice way to access Wikipedia.

Photopad lets you edit photos, a sort of lite weight PhotoShop.

Siri I haven't used much, but probably would if I had a 3G iPad.  You can ask with your voice to find all the Chinese restaurants nearby and it will.  It's turns your iPad into sort of a computer as found on the Starship Enterprise.  It is very cool.  Apple just bought the company, so expect to see it as a built in app in the future.

And finally iDraft for drawing.

And while Skype does not yet have an iPad version, it does have an iPhone version that works ok on the iPad.

I have not bothered with iTunes links to each of the apps.  Simple searches in the app store should let you find each of these apps.

Comments

  1. I recently changed my calendar over to Google Sync, and WOW that has that been awesome. We use the iPhone as a calendar regularly, and now we can see (and edit) each others calendars. We share a calendar for my daughter as well. I could even pick up her phone and add an event on my calendar. And it all gets updated over the air, which is good since Tonia doesn't sync too often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes Folder : My new note taking system

I'm in the process of moving to a new way to keep my notes. It would be best to make a separate post on my long time notetaking app, Evernote, and how it now disappoints me.  Bottom line, I no longer trust the company behind Evernote since it was acquired. My first inclination was to finally look at alternatives. like Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, etc. of I was not enamored with any of them, so I gritted my teeth and stayed with Evernote. TThe situation made me think about how I use Evernote. To keep up additional posts on this topic, search on the tag Notes Folder Updates : January 24, 2024 and in updates noted here. Most of the things I store are quick notes, lists, online receipts for online bills, that sort of thing.  Kind of an online file cabinet if you will. If I were a doctoral student though I could see storing PDFs of papers and research materials.  If were working on a large project, then plans, communications etc. would all be there. Back when I began using Evernote way b

Recording your own notes with Google Voice

Note :   April 2016:  Frankly I don't know if this works anymore.  It is 7 years old. I stopped using this when Google Now became useful on my phone, and I could dictate reminders using it. I found a way a while ago to use Google Voice to record a personal note, transcribe it, and email it to me. A recent Lifehacker post "Five Things We'd Like to See in Google Voice" lists that need as their #5 request, so I realized what I'd figured out is not common knowledge. In GV's Contacts, create a Group "Special Transcription" To avoid listening to my standard voice mail when I call, I recorded a short voice mail greeting for this group simply saying "Record note now" I added a contact with my own cell phone number as the only number, and made it the sole member of this group. In GV's phone settings, I edited the settings for my cell phone. In the section "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from th

Ten Years of Evernote

This blog post was set to publish exactly as the day begins on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. That is ten years to the day after my first Evernote  post. With my second note, I was already getting down to business; recording the agreement I'd come to on the phone on a minor business matter. My affection for Evernote has not dimmed since that day ten years ago. Since then, I've accumulated about 7.8 new notes a day. Ironically, I have needed to pull up only a few notes a year. Yet, when I need them, I need them badly and am glad to have Evernote all over again. My philosophy of what to capture is simple : If you encounter something you might remotely want to see again, it goes into Evernote. from a blog post June 1, 2015 I've written here about Evernote than any other topic.  Even wrote a now horribly out-of-date book. Don't get me wrong. If something better comes along that imports my Evernote notes well, I can be enticed to move.  But in t